.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Monday, May 23, 2005

Policy Statement

Sorry to have to do this, but it appears that I have been infested by a troll (3 comments over 24 hours at different times.)

My comment policy is that I reserve the right to delete any comment solely at my discretion. The main reasons I will delete comments are:
1) Gratuitous use of obscene language.
2) Statements or language that I deem to be racist or sexist.
3) Comments personally criticizing other commenters.
4) Threats of violence.
5) Personal attacks which are seperate from the matters being discussed.

Also, if you're posting anonymously you are far more likely to have your comment deleted.

BUT, I do encourage disagreement. Please, if you have a problem with something I've written, I would encourage you to respond with reasoned argument. (Leo has been pretty good about this, for instance.)

I really enjoy the discussion so long as it is free of the bits above. Okay, that's enough for now.

(Sorry to have to do this, but in his three comments, the new troll who is hiding behind his anonymity has broken all 5 of those rules.)

(commentpolicy)

8 Comments:

  • Does this mean I can't use the word Sh*t? I have such a truckers mouth you know if you read anything I post on my blog.

    If so, I will try very hard to show a little class..it will be tough but I will try :P

    By Blogger Unknown, at 11:30 AM  

  • I had 10. I posted most, purely because they were a clear indictment on the moron.
    I don't mind criticism, and actually get a lot value out of it from fellow bloggers.
    I don't mind attacks, because they suggest I've hit the mark somewhere. But I do prefer considered attacks, even if I disagree.
    I’m not sure whether to post or reject in future. But on balance I think they tend to reflect badly on the conservative side of things.

    By Blogger Cartledge, at 11:35 AM  

  • Dusty,

    Don't worry about it, I hadn't even noticed.

    I don't mind obscenity if it's an expression of emotion or helps emphasize the point. I just have alot of trouble when in used in long strings of epithets, particularly when directed at other commenters.

    Cartledge, I thought about that approach, but my Aunt reads the blog, and a friend's mother, and I kind of use them as a taste threshold. Certainly curse words are okay, and some playful stuff along the borders of the policy, my aunt's not a prude, but I'm not going to let other commenters be attacked or do way over the line raciist or sexist stuff.

    Mike

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 12:02 PM  

  • This too shall pass..

    By Blogger historymike, at 12:19 PM  

  • I've had an few recently as well. As well as noticing on Technorati that I've been listed as one someone's "Bloviating, Ponificators from the left" list. I've never felt so honored.
    I've never censored. But I do have bad habit of wanting to argue back, speak logic to nonsense. I try to trace their IP and location. But that's a waste of time. Arguing with a fool, only makes one foolish.

    I agree with the sentiments that disagreement through civil debate can actually be fruitful and positive. Hysterical epithets, threats and hate-speech reveal a few insights. First, as Cartledge notes, you've hit a nerve. Second, that they lack a thoughful rationale to discuss. And Third that they are immature.
    They are always anonymous.

    By Blogger zen, at 1:14 PM  

  • I've had an few recently as well. As well as noticing on Technorati that I've been listed as one someone's "Bloviating, Ponificators from the left" list. I've never felt so honored.
    I've never censored. But I do have bad habit of wanting to argue back, speak logic to nonsense. I try to trace their IP and location. But that's a waste of time. Arguing with a fool, only makes one foolish.

    I agree with the sentiments that disagreement through civil debate can actually be fruitful and positive. Hysterical epithets, threats and hate-speech reveal a few insights. First, as Cartledge notes, you've hit a nerve. Second, that they lack a thoughful rationale to discuss. And Third that they are immature.
    They are always anonymous.

    By Blogger zen, at 1:15 PM  

  • By Blogger Unknown, at 12:36 AM  



  • The article is very interesting. And I also want to share articles about health, I'm sure this will be useful. Read and share it. Thank you very much :)


    Pengobatan Kaki Bengkak secara Efektif
    Cara Menghilangkan Benjolan di Kepala

    By Anonymous Bahaya Nyeri Tenggorokan, at 12:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home